Voting

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Carving Jack O' Lanterns


One of my favorite holiday activities is carving pumpkins. It is especially fun now that the kids are starting to participate. This year, both Logan and Lily wanted to help! They helped us scoop out the pumpkin guts and picked out the patterns they wanted for their pumpkins.

Mommy and Daddy did the majority of the cutting but I did let Logan cut out some of his pumpkin. I had my hand over his to guide him in carving out the patterns of his Jack O' Lantern. Daddy helped Lily with hers but she wasn't quite as interested in doing it. Maybe next year.

After we carved all four pumpkins it was such a delight to put candles in them and turn off all the lights and watch them glow. Logan was so excited to see their spooky faces come to life. He was so proud to put the Jack O' Lanterns out on the step. "It is Halloween time! Look at our spooky Jack O' Lanterns!" he said as we set them out.

We stayed out and admired our work for about five minutes before we decided to go in and get the kids cleaned up and ready for bed. I hope the kids take as much delight in this ritual year after year. I would like to start the tradition of a family pumpkin carving contest and see what cool patterns we come up with each year. Of course, that is a few years away at least. For now, I we will just enjoy the excitement that surrounds this silly holiday tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment