Voting

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Rasberry Picking - Apple Jack Orchards

"What am I going to do today to keep the kids busy?" I thought to myself. Thank goodness we live in an outer ring suburb because there really is a lot of free, healthy, fun kid stuff to do out here!


Midway through summer, I took the kids raspberry picking at Apple Jack Orchards in Delano. This place is a favorite of ours because they have so many wonderful events throughout the year. We come here during the fall to pick apples, and pumpkins. When the kids were really little, we did Strawberry picking. Now, after a few years their raspberry patches are open! We have never gone raspberry picking before, in fact, I don't think the kids even really liked them. Well they sure do now!

It was one of those gorgeous Minnesota days and the kids and I were sick of going to lake. (I can't believe I just said that, and I'm pretty sure I will eat those words come this winter.) So, after a little research on inexpensive and fun summer activities, I stumbled upon Raspberry picking at Apple Jack Orchard. Perfect, day plus manual labor and yummy fruit? Awesome!I loaded the kids into the car for our field trip. "Where are we going today, mom?" Logan asked. I informed them we were going to the farm!They both expected animals but I told them that instead of visiting with farm animals we were going to be picking our own fruit.



I will admit, there was some grumbling about that. Lily wanted to pet a cow and let me know that she was disappointed that there would be no cow petting. Once we got there, all was forgiven. As I said before, they were spoiled with a big chocolate chip cookie and played on the cute kid friendly farm props.

For only $5 we got a pound of Raspberries. As you well know, you can get them cheaper in the grocery store but what fun is that? The experience was amazing because the kids were so excited to be my "helpers."

My budding photographer (Logan)brought our old digital camera along and he was snapping picture after picture! I even got a shot of him taking a picture of me. :)

We played on the kiddie truck, had an ginormous cookie down by the river and explored the hen house before heading over to the Raspberry bushes. It was idyllic fields of corn, apple orchards and raspberry patches. My kids worked side by side picking raspberries and putting them in the wooden container. "How about this one, Mommy?" Lily would ask.

Lily and Logan had a great time eating them straight off the bush. After we got too hot to pick any more, I brought the kids back to the Apple Jack's cafe
for a slushy. They finished up while I perused their cute gift shop. (So many things I would like to buy!)

We headed home with our raspberries and the kids were so excited to tell Daddy all about their day at the "farm." I took a lot of pictures of the farm elements that I think are beautiful, such as the corn. They had quite a few old fashioned Tractors available for people to sit on and pose in front of, as well. There is somethin I especially loved the wagons all lined up in a row. I really can't wait to get back here for Apple picking this fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment