Mike and I love to take the kids on adventures and a really inexpensive field trip is the Como Zoo! The $5 donation is a breeze, however, getting through Como Town is not.

As we all know, Como town is like Valley Fair to little kids and of course the rides are super expensive. We were able to make it past without giving in to any rides but I would be lying if I said it was easy. We managed to distract them from the rides with a quick trip to see the monkeys.
Logan and Lily LOOOVVEED the monkeys. Lily kept asking if she could "go in there"

meaning their cage. Logan was excited to watch them jump and swing! He especially loved it when they would come right up to the glass. I think the spider monkeys were his favorite.

Next we went and saw the new butterfly exhibit. It was really neat because they

recreated the rain forest habitat for the butterflies. You weren't allowed to touch them but if they landed on

you it was OK. A bright blue one landed on me and I think it was attracted to my shirt. The kids got such a kick out of this and kept trying to get the butterflies to land on them by holding out their arms.

We also went into the other rain forest exhibit and saw a huge snake, giant fish, a

slug and lush, beautiful plants. After that we headed outside to the carousel. Lily threw a fit because I wanted her to ride on the pony and she wanted to be in the carriage. I couldn't stand by Logan on the pony and leave Lily in the carriage so she ended up not riding. Logan was good and enjoyed himself immensely!

After the carousel ride we took the kids to see all the other animals. They loved the zebras, giraffes and seals. We tried to show Lily the lions but she was scared and they were both extremely tired by this time so we headed back to the bus. (We took the free State Fair shuttles down there but went to the zoo instead of the fair.)

Both kids loved riding the bus and were extremely well behaved. I think it was such a fun field trip! Definitely a great under $20 family outing. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment